Friday, October 07, 2005

Sex, Drugs and Hormonal Rolls In The Hay?

Sex & Pop - Spice Up Your Life

Boybands represent a piece of meat... and now I know who to blame for the Backstreet Boys. Some lady who wears a polka-dot top and pink trousers, a fat, toady-looking guy and some individual who I haven't seen yet. Damn them to the depths of hell!

It's rather painful, but in a way it reminds me of a few articles that my friend Ben sent to me about boybands, sex and teen girls - the boybands represent everything the teenage girl would like (which they actually said at the beginning of this show! So that's rather an admission... but then who knows, does it matter any more?).

So the music isn't the most important thing... Faces with practical value, which help you to prepare for your first boyfriend. Yikes. Howie D says that it helps because women can choose out someone they relate to and that helps them do something... which just frightens me. Fettes Brot are on with German hiphop, so I'll have to have a look for them - I'm a sucker for German things. And all of those delicious German men!

TEENAGE Hormones are the target of this all. Wooo! And I just saw Robbie Williams in only a shirt, which just frightens me a bit too much for this time of night. Maybe I don't have teenage hormones any more, but as I recall, I never liked the Backstreet Boys or anything and was always into Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, etc

Boyband video clips are the equivalent of a lap dance? Yikes! That hurts my mind! I mean, boybands hurt my mind enough to start with, but please... "Boybands are only over when God stops making little girls," says ToadyMan.

They're all rather replacable, really. I mean, they're all basically the same and vacuous. And it's insulting for the record companies to say that all girls are into this sort of thing, because I know that those sort of things always made me want to projectile vomit on the TV when clips came on. The only thing that the Backstreet Boys were good for were parodying after all...

So rock is for guys, they say. Although now that's tending towards hip-hop/r'n'b/etc.

Women act as fetishes for the masses in video clips... Well, duh. Some female singer, pegged as the next Britney, talks about how a teenage boy stole some of her underwear from her tour bus. WHich will teach them to lock the bus, I guess.

Lust and yearning along with feelings mean boybands offer a safety net for all of those sort of things, because they're so distant that they'll never be the disappointing boyfriend. So you get to fantasise about some guys on TV they say. Ewwww. That hurts my mind!

Talking about words and identifying feelings - how time's progressed and how we're more blunt about those sort of things (like back in the 60s where they used metaphors for sex and so on) when now more aggressive words are used, which ToadyMan says makes the fans truly fanatical. WOnder about what sort of truth there is in that? A sexologist talks about it as an extreme crush, projecting desires onto the boybands in a parasexual act. It's an interesting concept. People always talk about loving the guys from the groups... hmmm...

Aww, the Monkees! I loved them and their show. Davey Jones was just a babe!

Why the desire? Why the feelings? I don't know. If someone can explain to me why people like boybands who are fluffy and stupid, who knows...

"The message is that you strip off and you fuck..." - says a German guy. The first time is going to be fantastic, your bodies will be gorgeous, you won't be nervous... but wait! That's not real! They miss the banalities of sex and the nerves and the weirdness, says the German guy, who says sex is never like H&M ads.

The music of our teens stays with us for life. That make people happy and excited right through to retirement age. Much like the Monkees I suppose, which they're using as an example.

Thank God Justin Timberlake never entered my mind.

Girlbands aren't fluffy and froufrou. Example of the Spicegirls, who were in-your-face and bold. Came out around the same time as the Backstreet Boys and stuff, and the focus on girl power. Ahhh, girl power... those were the days! But girls are more emotional than men, which means that they don't give up grudges or arguments... ooooh... shocking. And do you remember the Spice Girls Impulse perfume? That actually wasn't too bad. And I did like the Spice Girls, shameful as that might be ;)

Dominant girls to do their own thing, being aggressive in getting what they want, no waiting around for the guys any more. Oh and I'd forgotten about the bound man in that Spice Girls clip..! Nothing like being spread-eagled, I guess o.0

Britney appeared at the end of the 90s, and that is described as a paedophile's dream. She was the one who made fluffy pens scary to use - they'd been my trademark at school and then Britney came along with the fluffy things in her hair for the Hit Me Baby One More Time clip. Grr! I would have been glad to RIP them out! The German guys are saying she slept her way up to the top just like they did. Girls are hanging Britney posters in their rooms, not the boys so much. The reassuring message about being as sexy as you want and exploring eroticism, but never having to have sex if you don't want to. You don't have to have any real thoughts, you don't have to write your own tunes, you just get to follow these instructions, say a retro kind of guy in a retro kind of shirt. Hmmm.

Ugh.

Virginal image is gone by the third album. Because women can't be non-skanky in the music industry, which is a bit tragic.

Madonna shows the world that it's better to have sex than just talk about it. And there's some Jean-Paul Gautierre bra thing involvment there again. Yikes. Audience growing older means that you go with more sexuality into your music, they say. THe way Christina changed from being wholesome to being whoreish... good point. She was really sweet, but then went totally bonkers. I mean, I know that they say that image shouldn't matter, but it so does make a difference. People don't respect you the more skin that you show if you're a female. The problem is the market where the skin is being exposed to, apparently.

The Mickey Mouse club. It's like being in the Playboy Mansion, apparently. Disney likes to keep it clean - the boys who are like church-going lads and looking sweet and wholesome while singing about wholesome, family morals things. Whatever family morals are. I dunno, if I was a parent now, I'd rather that my children got into Marylin Manson, Rammstein and Triple J stuff than anything with the boyband/Britney/Xtina thing involved with it. They're all a bit too fake and I don't know that they influence people in the right way. Who knows. Nothing like telling people to love themselves between breast implants and nose-jobs. To be respected and feel good you have to get surgery? Oh please...

Sex sells. Yes. But there's no way anyone would want to have sex with that guy, is there? o.0

*gag*

*shudder*

Are you old enough to have sex? Are you old enough to make the decisions? Who's teaching the kids about those issues? Parents aren't paying attention to their kids, so it's down to the industry, isn't it?

Escaping from reality is such bollocks. But it's necessary. People should make a change if they want to get away from sad things if they want to not have to deal with a certain reality, I guess... hmmm... Who knows. It's a strange kind of thing, really.

Clean-cut boys gives some sort of other escape. Not quite sure what yet. Bizarre.

I do remember the end of Take That, actually, and the brouhahaha that there was after Robbie left.

When you're a boyband, your female friends are your girlfriends... yikes. And Robbie Williams with his hands down his pants... yes, there goes my sanity right out the window.

"It's about the money," says Donna Wright. "It's not about being a man."

Growing up. All about growing up... And there's a guy in N'Sync who looks oddly like my old bio teacher. Yikes.

*LOL* Nipplegate!

And now the fifth episode is for the last remaining taboos in music... so that may be interesting next week. Or it may not. I guess if they mean about taboos in the mainstream music world.

2 Comments:

At 4:04 pm, Blogger Brandon said...

Crikey what a good rant! Solid stuff Della :)

 
At 4:37 pm, Blogger Della said...

Hey, thanks :) That show really got me thinking about a few things! Kind of scary how music/singers are used to play off of us so much. But such is life, I guess...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home