Thursday, February 02, 2006

Have you found your darkplace yet?

There aren't really that many shows that I stop and go, "Wait a minute, that's a bit disturbing!" about. However, I think I've found one. It's on Monday nights on SBS and is entitled Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

There's a lot of homages paid to old horror movies, 70s and 80s shows (some of the retro clothes are scary, so be warned!), hospital dramas and so on, and although it deals with horror-style themes (like the first episode where a gateway to hell is opened in the hospital, Garth's friend explodes, comes back from the dead and so on) (not to mention the shoot-up/flamethrower/etc at the funeral bit), it's not scary.

Just odd.

Well, disturbing-style odd. The sort of odd that makes you laugh while thinking, "It's not really that funny; I think I'm laughing because it's such a ridiculous premise and if I don't laugh I think I might puke on something..."

"I don't know whether that scene was meant to represent anybody, if it was a friend of Garths who had exploded, or a pet..." - Thornton Reed (character).

2 Comments:

At 5:37 pm, Blogger Rikki said...

Loving it :)

 
At 11:29 pm, Blogger Della said...

Darkplace is pretty damn good :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home